Change of Location

Undergraduate degree-seeking students admitted to the University as a first-year student may begin at one of twenty Penn State campuses. All of these campuses generally provide the basic foundation courses required of first- and second-year students.

Change of Location to University Park

Smeal students change their campus location to University Park through the Entrance to Major Requirements 2015 process which occurs in the spring semester of the sophomore year. Students approved for their major choice via the Entrance-to-Major process will have an automatic change of campus location to University Park for the following fall semester. Standards and guidelines for changing campus location to University Park include:

    • Students at campus locations other than University Park who earned 43.1 credits and are approved into a Smeal major receive an automatic change of location to University Park for the following fall semester.
    • Students who have less than 43.1 credits and have been approved for a major at Smeal will also be approved for change of location to University Park for fall semester.
    • Once a change of location is approved, students are eligible to register for courses at University Park via eLion for the following fall semester based on their assigned registration date.
    • Students who accept an offer of admission to a Penn State campus, have agreed to a commitment of four semesters at that campus. For this reason, early change of campus location is normally not permitted.
    • Under strict academic standards and rationale, students may request an early change of location. Such requests are considered, but are tempered by course and enrollment availability. Students should work with their academic advisor and campus representative to review criteria for changing. If deemed appropriate, fill out a Smeal change of location form and forward it to Ms. Debbie Lissenden, 202 Business Building, University Park, PA 16802

Change of Location from University Park to another Penn State Campus

Students at University Park who wish to relocate to another Penn State location must discuss this option with their adviser in the Smeal Undergraduate Advising Center, 202 Business Building (814-863-1947). This request will be forwarded for approval to the desired campus. Approval of this request is sent via email.

Resources for Change of Location Assistance

For more information about making the transition to University Park, please visit:  A comprehensive Web site outlining the change of location process to University Park and resources to assist with the transition.