International Business Minor
The International Business Minor is a credential for Smeal College of Business students to demonstrate their education in international business at Penn State and globally, by studying abroad.
The International Business Minor (I B Minor) is designed to be paired with a Smeal major program to provide students with an opportunity to focus on international business. It provides students with knowledge, skills, and experiences that prepare them for a business career that might include international responsibilities.
Students gain perspectives about the challenges and opportunities of commercial activity in a global business environment through course work that may include:
- Fundamental business concepts
- International business or international related topics
- Foreign language or Special Destination courses
- Courses through approved study abroad programs
Applications may be submitted after a student is permanently enrolled in their major (FIN, MKTG etc), usually 5th semester. They must also be accepted to or have attended an approved study abroad program before they apply.
- A grade of "C" or higher is required in all courses for the I B minor.
- Courses cannot double count in multiple areas of the minor.
- Students must complete their entire program in order to fulfill the minor. Please note that many study abroad programs require a minimum number of credits, and this requirement must be met.
I B Minor Application
View the I B Minor Application
- Take all prescribed courses (7 credits): ACCTG 211, BA 411
- Take all additional courses (12 credits): FIN 301, SCM 301, MKTG 301, MGMT 301
- Select 6 credits from the following: I B 303, I B 403, I B 404, I B 450, I B 460, I B 480. Must be taken at PSU
- Select 6 credits in consultation with Smeal Office of International Programs (SOIP). Students must schedule an appointment with the Smeal Office of International Programs
- Additional I B 400 level course at PSU (I B 403, I B 404, I B 450, I B 460, IB 480)
- Fall , courses offered
- Foreign Language at the 15th credit level
- Second foreign language
- Special Destination course
- International course abroad (prior approval required). Not available for 6 credit summer programs.
- Take 6 credits from an approved study abroad program (see “Choosing a Program” list). These credits may not double count within the IB Minor.
For non-PSU programs the I B Minor Petition will need to be submitted after consultation with a member of the Smeal Office of International Programs staff. Students hoping to earn the I B Minor must have their non-PSU education abroad program pre-approved by the Smeal College Office of International Programs prior to attendance. No exceptions will be granted.
Students who study abroad no later than Spring 2012 may be eligible for the I B Minor 2010. Please consult with the Smeal Office of International Programs to see if you are eligible for this minor:I B Minor 2010