Home > Academics & Advising > Get Advised > Transfer Courses

Transfer Courses

Course work successfully completed at other colleges and universities that are recognized by the six regional accrediting associations will be considered for transfer credit. To be eligible for review:

  • The grade received in the course must be equivalent to a “C” (2.0) or higher at Penn State. A grade of "C-" will not transfer to Penn State.
  • Penn State must have a similar program or course offering and the course should be useful in the student’s program of study at Penn State.
  • College level course work completed at colleges or universities that are licensed by state boards of education to award associate degrees (or higher) but that are not members of one of the six regional accrediting associations may be eligible for credit by validation.

To see if specific courses from other colleges and/or universities will transfer to Penn State, please visit the Undergraduate Admission's Transfer Course Evaluation Guide.

Credits with Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (Pass/Fail) Grades Do Not Count

The Smeal College of Business does not accept credits with satisfactory/unsatisfactory (SA/UN) grades. Students enrolled at Smeal must enroll in all courses for a letter grade and may never enroll in courses for satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades. Credits taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis are automatically disqualified on the student's degree audit and not counted towards degree completion. http://www.senate.psu.edu/policies/47-00.html#49-60

Courses That Do Not Count Toward a Smeal Degree

Business courses numbered 100 through 199 may not be used to satisfy Smeal or departmental baccalaureate degree requirements. Other business courses not acceptable for meeting the requirements of the bachelor of science degree include: BA 301, BA 302, BA 303,
BA 304, FIN 100, FIN 108, MGMT 100, MGMT 100W, MKTG 221, R EST 100, SCM 310, BA 241 and BA 242.

Courses Requiring a Grade of "C" or Higher

To be graduated, a candidate must earn at least a "C" grade in each course designated by the major as a C-required course (University Senate Policy 82-44). The set of C-required courses for each major is chosen by the faculty of the department offering the major.

Transfer credits for graduating seniors

In order to be included on the Smeal College graduation list and program, all credits from courses taken at institutions other than Penn State (transfer credits) must be taken prior to the semester of graduation. In addition, the credits must appear on the student’s Penn State record prior to the 1st day of the month preceding the month of graduation. For Spring graduation, transfer credits must post to the student’s record by no later than April 1st. The deadline is July 1st for summer graduation and November 1st for Fall graduation. Note that many courses transfer in to Penn State as “general credits” and require additional approval to be counted towards a student’s non-major field degree requirements. It is important for students who plan to fulfill degree requirements using transfer credits to meet with their academic adviser well in advance of graduation to discuss their plans. 

Entrance-to-Major Courses

General transfer credits may not be used for entrance-to-major courses. Courses taken at other institutions must transfer as equivalent to the entrance-to-major courses.  Furthermore, any transfer credits for entrance-to-major courses must appear on the student’s Penn State record prior to the student being able to apply for a Smeal major in LionPath.